Welcome to my mutterings to life in general and all that Jazz!

So this is my attempt at the wonderful world of blogging!

It will contain my ramblings of life, hopes, dreams and a smattering of what makes me smile!

So grab a cupcake, (hopefully one with zillions of buttercream!) a cup of tea and sit back and take yourself out from this busy life for a few moments................................

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Comfort Food

When you were small and you were un-well or a bit under the weather, your Mum would make you something to make you feel better. As the youngest of five children, we all had different ‘comfort foods’. My big sister loved custard, whereas I just loved home-made vegetable soup. My brother strangely enough had the ability to eat cornflakes at any time of the day!


So now as a Mum myself, my children also have their own comfort foods, homemade Chicken and Potato Pie being one of them. However my new version of comfort food, came to me much later in life, it is actually stuffed paratha .  I absolutely love cooking Indian food and it offers a great many dishes when entertaining as being a vegetarian I have loads of dishes to consider.

I love having friends over and cooking a host of curries and having a table full of good wholesome food and lots of new things for them to try. Now to be true, you should make  paratha, however they can be found in the frozen section of most good supermarkets and as my Mum would say, life is too short to stuff a mushroom!

I think curries appeal to me as they can be made ahead and only improve by additional cooking and time. My children all love curries and something like Butter Chicken  is a great way to get them started. Like everything else, it is all in moderation.

I also love the ‘sharing’ part of Indian cuisine, having lots of poppadum’s and a good selection of chutneys, it’s great to hear that ‘crack’ as the poppadum breaks and everyone can share and chat. I love my relish bowl  which has been on many an outing including being taken on holiday!



It is very useful as not only does it have lids, it also has individual serving spoons so that is far more hygienic and also means that more than one person can use it at one time. The fact that it rotates on its central spindle makes it very handy.

I have to admit it also has had lots of other roles in my house, I used it to put cake decorations in when my children were small and were decorating fairy cakes, it was far easier to have this great item in the middle and they could turn it and share all the different decorations.

So I hope you will try to have a ‘sharing’ dinner it does mean the conversations flow more and if that does not work then make the wine flow more!

No comments:

Post a Comment